Transition ISO 22000:2005 to ISO 22000:2018
ISO 22000 is the food safety management system mainly for the food industry. ISO 22000 integrates the principles of the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) system and application steps developed by the Codex Alimentarius Commission.
ISO 22000 standard usually will be review every 5 years. In June 2018, the ISO 22000:2015 have been reviewed and revised to ISO 22000:2018 version. There are 3 years time frame given for the transition ISO 22000:2005 to ISO 22000:2018. By June 2021, all organization will need to convert to ISO 22000:2018.
What is the Major Changes in ISO 22000:2018?
- ISO 22000:2018 are applied high level structure (HLS).
- The structure are same with ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001:2015 which been revised in 2015. With this new changes, it easy for the organization for the integrate the multiple management system.
- Focus on Risk Management
- The organizations can tackle the daunting and seemingly overwhelming force. The risk now distinguished between the operational level and the strategic level.
- Differentiate between 2 Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) cycles
- Initial cycle applies to the management system
- second PDCA cycle addresses the operations, simultaneously covering the principles of HACCP.
When to do transition to ISO 22000:2018
Organization are given 3 years for transition from ISO22000:2005 to ISO 22000:2018 version. Please make sure you complete the conversion by June 2021.
If your ISO 22000:2015 certificate going to expired in 2019, you can either upgrade this year. Then the new certificate that you receive will be in latest version. If you choose to upgrade in 2020 or 2021. Then for this year re-certificate cycle, you will still got the older version certificate.
If your certificate are expired in 2020. Then, suggest you doing transition next year. This year you just continue your older version surveillance audit.
Process upgrade or transition to ISO 22000:2018
To upgrade or transition to ISO 22000:2018, you can follow be steps.
- Check when your certificate expired date
- Decide when which year to do the transition (Please remember must upgrade by June 2021)
- Plan for your transition
- Attend training/read the new ISO 22000:2018 standard document to get the information of the changes or new requirements.
- Find out the gap
- Implement the new changes and requirements in the organization
- Conduct the internal audit
- Organize the Management Review session on the audit outcome
- Arrange the Certification Body for the ISO 22000 transition audit
Notes: Some organization might engage the 3rd party service from consultant to help them on the step 4 to 7.